This is a basic pancake recipe made into muffins. I bake them in mini muffin tins and put a “surprise” in the middle. My kids love surprises and think it’s SO FUN to find these in their lunch bag.
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk (you could also sub milk with a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice)
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp oil (I used canola)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Surprise filling: frozen or fresh fruit: blueberries, cherries, strawberries, raspberries, banana, diced apple, chocolate chip, peanut butter, applesauce, walnuts
Pre heat over to 425 degrees. Mix together the dry Ingredients in a large bowl. Mix together the wet ingredients in another bowl. Add the wet to the dry and stir. Fill half the mini muffin tin with batter, add the surprise filling and top with more batter. Bake for 11 minutes.
*Sometimes I use one filling per muffin, while other muffins will have a combination of the fillings.